August 22, 2014
26th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 20
The 26th annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 20 from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. Each year thousands of people volunteer for the Sweep, South Carolina’s largest one-day litter cleanup of beaches, marshes and waterways.
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources is once again partnering with the S.C. Sea Grant Consortium to organize the statewide event, which is held in conjunction with the Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup. Anyone can participate – individuals, families, schools, youth groups, civic and conservation clubs and businesses. Volunteers either organize their own cleanups at sites that are not already covered or they may sign up to assist at the scheduled cleanup locations.
Last year over 5,200 dedicated volunteers removed around 65,000 pounds of litter from the state’s beaches, marshes and waterways.
To participate in coastal counties, contact Susan Ferris Hill at (843) 953-2078 or email@example.com. For inland counties, contact Bill Marshall at (803) 734-9096 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
- Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson, S.C. deer hunt
- Sept. 15 is deadline for DNR's special youth deer hunts in Upstate
- 26th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 20
- DNR, U.S. Forest Service to provide special youth dove hunt Sept. 6 in Union County
- DNR and SCPRT partner to host Sept. 13 Cheraw youth fishing rodeo, paddle clinic
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Aug. 27 in Columbia
- Youth draw deer hunts set at Bluefield/Moultrie Hunt Unit this fall
- August is Tree Stand Safety Awareness month
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in September
- Import of deer, elk parts into SC still limited by state regulation
- DNR asks public to report sightings of banded wood storks
- Fifty fields available for public dove hunting
- Banded mourning doves provide vital information to biologists
- Abbeville County youth dove hunt to be held Sept. 6
- Dove hunting opportunity expanded for SC hunters
- Volunteer instructors sought for new Family Fishing Clinics
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day set Sept. 20 at Duke Energy's World of Energy
- Deer hunts for mobility impaired hunters to be held in Upstate
- Conservation Bank to host Land Trusts workshop Sept. 23 in Columbia
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases