** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
August 15, 2014
Abbeville County youth dove hunt to be held Sept. 6
A youth dove hunt, sponsored by S.C. Department of Natural Resources and U.S. Forest Service, is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 6 at the U.S. Forest Service Power of Partnerships Dove Field in Abbeville County.
For more information on the Sept. 6 youth dove hunt, call the Abbeville field office of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) at (864) 223-2731 or visit the DNR website.
Pre-registration for the youth dove hunt is not required, and the field will be open for the youth hunt from noon until 6 p.m. The field is at the end of Bass Road, about 5 miles east of Abbeville on SC Highway 72.
Eligibility for the hunt requires adults 21 years or older to bring one or two youths 17 years of age and younger. The following regulations also apply on Special Youth Dove Hunts:
1) Adults accompanying youth are not allowed to shoot at any time during Special Youth Dove Hunts.
2) Adults accompanying youth do not have to be licensed or possess a WMA permit.
3) Adults must remain in the field and closely supervise participating youth at all times.
4) In parties of one adult and two youths, only one youth hunter may be handling a loaded
firearm at any given time.
5) Bag limit is 15 birds per youth participant. Birds harvested by individual hunters must be kept separate, and in no instance may an individual hunter harvest more than 15 birds.
Youth under 16 years of age do not have be licensed or possess a WMA permit. Youth 16 or 17 years old must have a Junior Sportsman License or an Apprentice License and possess a free migratory bird permit (HIP).
- August is Tree Stand Safety Awareness month
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in September
- Import of deer, elk parts into SC still limited by state regulation
- DNR asks public to report sightings of banded wood storks
- Fifty fields available for public dove hunting
- Banded mourning doves provide vital information to biologists
- Abbeville County youth dove hunt to be held Sept. 6
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets Aug. 21 in Columbia
- Dove hunting opportunity expanded for SC hunters
- Volunteer instructors sought for new Family Fishing Clinics
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day set Sept. 20 at Duke Energy's World of Energy
- Early-season migratory bird seasons approved by S.C. Natural Resources Board
- Deer hunts for mobility impaired hunters to be held in Upstate
- Conservation Bank to host Land Trusts workshop Sept. 23 in Columbia
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases