** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
August 29, 2014DNR, Air Force to conduct youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in cooperation with the United States Air Force (USAF) Shaw Air Force Base will conduct a special youth deer hunt at the Poinsett Electronic Combat Range in Sumter County. This hunt is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 1, 2014. Fifteen (15) youth will be selected by random drawing to participate in this special hunt and there is no application fee or hunting license required for those youth 15 and younger. However, a junior hunting license is required for those youth who are 16 and 17.
Immediately after check-in and a brief refresher course on hunter safety, all participants are required to shoot their firearms at the rifle range before going on the hunt. Firearms for this hunt will be restricted to high-powered center fire rifles. Rifles with telescopic sights are recommended.
Hunting will be from elevated stands and a parent or an adult from a cooperating organization will accompany each youth in the deer stand. Before the hunt DNR and Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will provide lunch for the participants.
To be eligible for the special youth deer hunt, applicants must meet the following requirements:
* Applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 17 inclusive at the time of the hunt.
* Applicants must have a hunter education certificate.
* A parent or legal guardian must provide written permission for their child to participate.
* A parent, or legal guardian or other responsible adult must provide transportation for each youth to and from the event.
For an application, contact DNR at the following numbers: (803) 734-3886 or (803) 734-3898. Applications are also available from the Columbia DNR Office or the DNR website. Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Oct. 10, 2014. Please return application and questionnaire to: SCDNR/USAF Youth Deer Hunt, Attn: Willie Simmons, P.O. Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202
- New locations added to DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
- Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson, S.C. deer hunt
- All-time antler records update now available on DNR website
- Sept. 26 deadline to apply for Manchester State Forest youth deer hunt
- DNR, Air Force to conduct youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Belfast WMA youth deer hunt
- S.C. Prescribed Fire Council Sept. 24-25 meeting to focus on Jocassee Gorges, Upstate
- Sept. 15 is deadline for DNR's special youth deer hunts in Upstate
- 26th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 20
- DNR, U.S. Forest Service to provide special youth dove hunt Sept. 6 in Union County
- DNR and SCPRT partner to host Sept. 13 Cheraw youth fishing rodeo, paddle clinic
- Youth draw deer hunts set at Bluefield/Moultrie Hunt Unit this fall
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in September
- Abbeville County youth dove hunt to be held Sept. 6
- Dove hunting opportunity expanded for SC hunters
- Volunteer instructors sought for new Family Fishing Clinics
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day set Sept. 20 at Duke Energy's World of Energy
- Deer hunts for mobility impaired hunters to be held in Upstate
- Conservation Bank to host Land Trusts workshop Sept. 23 in Columbia
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases