Flood Mitigation Program
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR), Flood Mitigation Program (FMP) administers the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The mission of the SCDNR Flood Mitigation Program is to work with South Carolina citizens and communities to minimize losses due to flood conditions.
South Carolina Flood Facts:
- The State has had damages of more than $7 billion in the last 12 years from flooding and hurricane events.
- Future floodplain development will increase the number of properties/citizens at risk to flood damage.
- The State ranks sixth in the nation for NFIP flood insurance policies in effect and 17th for the number of repetitive loss properties.
- The FMP conducts Community Assistance Telephone Contacts & Visits yearly for our participating communities to assist them with compliance issues.
- The FMP provides general and technical assistance, conduct training and educational workshops.
- The FMP provide mitigation assistance during the recovery phase of a disaster.
Downloadable files below are in the PDF format.