** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
November 20, 2014Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 6
A youth coon hunt will be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 6, sponsored by the Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Its part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2015, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Georgetown youth coon hunt, contact Floyd Lambert at (843) 264-8093. The Georgetown youth coon hunt is listed as a UKC Youth Hunt.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County in February 2015.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other upcoming youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Dec. 13 Heath Springs, sponsored by Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association. Contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
* Jan. 10, 2015 Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Elliott Shuler at (803) 759-0089. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Jan. 24, 2015 Norway, sponsored by Norway Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mark Whetstone at (803) 682-3011.
* Jan. 31, 2015 Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 7, 2015 Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2014 State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Date to be announced. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Entire state now in incipient drought
- Lake Hartwell fisheries habitat improvement underway in cove near Clemson DNR office
- Fall trout fishing opportunities abound in South Carolina mountains
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 6
- Student Angler League Tournament Trail conducts final tourney of 2014
- S.C Conservation Bank to conserve more than 31,000 acres over next fiscal year
- New research sheds light on buck movements related to hunting
- Distinctive signs placed on DNR lands managed with prescribed fire
- Feeding, baiting of deer in black bear range not wise
- Wild hog management workshop scheduled for Dec. 11 in Ridgeland
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases