Bear Hunting - 2018
It is unlawful to buy, sell, barter or exchange a bear or bear part or attempt to buy, sell, barter or exchange a bear or bear parts. Transportation of a freshly killed bear or bear part is unlawful except during the bear season. Any person violating these offenses must be fined not more than $2,500 or imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both, and hunting and fishing privileges will be suspended for 3 years. It is unlawful to feed bears or to hunt bears by the aid of bait (50-11-430, 50-11-440, 50-1-130, 50-1-125).
Downloadable files and applications below are in PDF format.
For the privilege of hunting bear, in addition to the required hunting license and big game permit, a hunter must obtain a bear tag issued in his/her name at a cost of $25 for residents and $100 for nonresidents. Youth under the age of 16 are required to obtain a youth bear tag from the department at no cost. Bear tags are available over the counter at DNR offices in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia, Florence, and York. Tags can be ordered by telephone a 1-866-714-3611 or online.
A handwritten application can be obtained at http://dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/speciallicenseapp.pdf.
The possession and use of bear tags is limited to the individual to whom it was issued. Tags must be attached to the bear before being moved from the point of kill.
Bear Seasons on Private Lands
Game Zone 1
- Tag required to hunt bear (Hunting and Fishing Tag Application (PDF))
- Harvested bear must be reported by midnight on day of harvest to Clemson SCDNR.
Still Hunt (No Dogs): Oct. 17-23
- Limit: 1 bear; no sow with cubs, no bears 100 lbs. or less.
Party Dog Hunts: Oct. 24-30
- Statewide Limit: 5 bears per party; no sow with cubs, no bears 100 lbs. or less.
- All parties (maximum party size of 25) must register by application due Sept. 1. For application write SCDNR, 311 Natural Resources Dr., Clemson, SC 29631 register by application. Groups hunting together are considered 1 party.
Game Zone 4
Private Land in Georgetown, Horry, Marion, and Williamsburg counties ONLY and the following WMAs: Cartwheel Bay Heritage Preserve WMA, Lewis Ocean Bay Heritage Preserve WMA, Little Pee Dee River Heritage Preserve Complex, Waccamaw River Heritage Preserve WMA, and Wee Tee WMA
- 2018 Quota - 30 bears all counties combined.
- If 30 bear quota is met prior to Oct. 30, season will close 24 hours following season closure notice. Hunters are responsible for monitoring season status.
- Harvested bears must be reported by midnight on day of harvest.
Still Hunts (No Dogs): Oct. 17-30
- Statewide Limit: 1 bear; no sow with cubs, no bears 100 lbs. or less.