** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
June 26, 2015Volunteers needed to participate in the Summer Turkey Survey
Annually, since 1982, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) conducts a Summer Turkey Survey to estimate reproduction and recruitment of wild turkeys in South Carolina. The survey involves agency wildlife biologists, technicians, and conservation officers, as well as many volunteers from other natural resource agencies and the general public. The survey is conducted in July and August each year.
According to Charles Ruth, DNR’s Deer and Wild Turkey Program coordinator, “The Summer Turkey Survey is designed to monitor annual nesting success of hens and survival of their young, which has the greatest influence on wild turkey population dynamics. The information allows biologists to calculate many factors essential for sound turkey management including average brood size, percentage of hens with and without young, gobbler to hen ratio, and overall numbers of turkeys seen. Combined with harvest data, this allows DNR to make scientifically based recommendations to the SC General Assembly in order to manage the wild turkey population now and in the future.”
If you are interested in participating in the annual Summer Turkey Survey additional information, including instructions and recording forms can be found on the DNR website.
- SC Drought Committee upgrades drought status for 28 counties
- DNR offers July 16 York Co. youth shooting clinic
- DNR courtesy boating inspections for July 4 holiday
- Volunteers needed to participate in the Summer Turkey Survey
- Biologists banding Whistling Ducks to determine range expansion, migration patterns
- DNR biologists document Golden Eagles at Marsh WMA in Marion County
- Jocassee Gorges field office dedicated in honor of 'living legend' biologist Sam Stokes Sr.
- Sunflowers decorate acres of Draper WMA in York Co.
- Haile Gold Mine land transfer to DNR creates Wateree River Heritage Preserve, addition to 40- Acre Rock
- Renew your state hunting and fishing license
- DNR offering virtual hands on boating safety classes in July
- DNR hosts series of youth fishing rodeos/family fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases