Downloadable resources below are in the PDF format.
Teachers On The Estuary (TOTE): Watersheds to Wetlands
Ocotber 23-25, 2020
Exploring the Edisto River Watershed ACE Basin National Estuarine Research Reserve
Join ACE Basin NERR, North Inlet-Winyah Bay NERR, and South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium marine educators for professional development featuring NOAA's Estuaries 101 Curriculum!
Using the Edisto River watershed as our classroom, we will:
- Explore each segment of the watershed by land and water
- Engage your students in Project-based Learning using real world examples
- Bring home standards-based, STEM classroom lessons
- Learn to connect your classroom to the estuary no matter where you live!
The first day of the workshop begins in Orangeburg, SC at the headwaters of the Edisto River. Each day we’ll explore a new section of the river; walking boardwalks, tubing downstream and boating in the estuary. Along the way, we will test water quality, observe different habitat types, and discuss how to incorporate this information into your classroom. Participants will stay in cabins at Givhans Ferry State Park both nights. Our final day ends where the Edisto River meets the Atlantic Ocean at Edisto Beach.
- Open to K-12 teachers, pre-service teachers, and non-formal educators of ALL SUBJECTS
- Commitment to a 3 day workshop, plus workshop exit and 6 month follow up surveys
- MUST be able to tolerate physical activity outdoors (summer temperatures, insects)
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation, carpool arrangements can be made
*Continuing Education Units (CEUs) available
Registration: $50 per person (nonrefundable)
• Includes meals, snacks, supplies, and overnight lodging
REGISTER HERE: https://forms.gle/xFQagRe2wyiGyF1g9
Contact: MarineEducation@dnr.sc.gov with any questions
Seeds to Shoreline, July 29, 2020
From Seeds to Shoreline engages K-12 students and teachers in cultivating and transplanting Spartina alterniflora, the dominant plant in southeastern salt marshes.
- From Seeds to Shoreline Teacher Workshops
- New Teachers (July 29th): Attendance at this training is a prerequisite for participation in the program during the 2019-2020 school year.