Become an SCDNR Law Enforcement Officer
Requirements to Apply
All applicants must meet the minimum qualifications below for consideration as a Law Enforcement Officer with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. If you meet these requirements and would like to apply, visit the South Carolina Careers Website.
Once you have submitted the online application, you will need to additionally mail an official copy of your 10-year driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles and a copy of your college transcript to:
S.C. Department of Natural Resources Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 167
Columbia, SC 29202
TATTOOS AND BODY ART:
Applicants are not permitted to have tattoos or body art to include, but not limited to, branding, tongue bifurcation or ear gauging that is greater than 1.6mm, that would be visible while wearing the SCDNR uniform or official uniform to include tattoos on the neck, face, head, legs, arms, or any other area that would be visible. Official attire or uniform includes the summer and winter field uniform and boating uniform with shorts. Officers may not cover tattoos or other body art with bandages, makeup, or otherwise to comply with this requirement.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age at the time of applying. There is no maximum age limit for employment.
Applicants must have one of the following:
- Bachelor's degree or (120) One Hundred Twenty college credit hours; OR
- Associate's degree (or two (2) years of college credits equating to (60) semester credit hours) combined with two (2) years of related experience. (Related experience will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Examples of related experience may include, but not be limited to, service as a class 1 law enforcement officer or active military service in security positions); OR
- Four (4) years of service as a certified class I law enforcement officer; OR
- Four (4) years active military service in security positions; OR
- Thirty (30) college credit hours, with high school diploma or (GED).
- Applicant will not be eligible to advance beyond rank of PFC within the LE career path until completion of cumulative one hundred twenty (120) credit hours.
- Applicant will be granted credit for an additional thirty (30) credit hours upon completion of the SC Criminal Justice Academy Basic Law Enforcement program and the SCDNR Wildlife Basic Training Academy for a total of 60 credit hours towards the 120 cumulative credit hour requirement.
Must be a citizen of the United States.
Applicants will be subjected to, and must successfully pass, a comprehensive background check. The applicant must be of good moral character and meet the following criteria:
- No record of conviction of violation of state or federal game and fish laws within the past three years
- No record of convictions of any criminal offense that carries a sentence of one year or more or any criminal offense that involves moral turpitude
- No record of felony convictions
- Holds a valid current South Carolina driver's license with no record during the previous five years for suspension of driver's license as a result of driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages or dangerous drugs, driving while impaired, reckless homicide, involuntary manslaughter, or leaving the scene of an accident
- Credit check
- Consideration to all violations of the law including traffic and conservation law convictions and criminal offenses
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Law Enforcement Officer, please fill out the recruitment information form.