Become an SCDNR Law Enforcement Officer
Law Enforcement Applicant Process
If you are an individual who meets the minimum requirements, the process below outlines what to expect as an applicant. Please note that this process will require applicants to be in Columbia and away from their present job for at least three different occasions.
STEP 1: Application and Interview Panel
- Submit your application online
- Your application will be reviewed and if you meet the minimum requirements, you will be notified to schedule an interview with the Law Enforcement Interview Panel.
STEP 2: Written and Physical Fitness Test (Pass/Fail Only)
Applicants who are selected for further consideration from the interview will be asked to pass a written exam and a physical fitness test. The physical fitness test is comprised of:
- An obstacle course that includes dragging a 150 lb. bag
- Swimming 125 meters
- Treading water for 5 minutes
Note: If applicant fails either the written exam or any portion of the Physical Fitness Test, he/she will be eliminated from the process and must reapply for the next hiring cycle.
STEP 3: Interview with Colonel (Deputy Director of the SCDNR Law Enforcement Division)
- Applicants who successfully pass the written and physical fitness test will go on to interview with the Colonel.
- Final selections will be made, and applicants must then pass an extensive background investigation.
STEP 4: Conditional Job Offer
Successful applicants who are conditionally offered a position as an SCDNR Law Enforcement Officer will be subjected to complete:
- Medical examination
- Color blindness test
- Drug screening
- Psychological test
These tests are at no cost to the applicant. The applicant must meet the physical and psychological standards set by the agency, to include good hearing, night vision and eyesight correctable to 20/20.
STEP 5: Basic Training
Officers are required to attend:
- A 12-week South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy (SCCJA) Basic Training course
- A 12-week SCDNR Wildlife Basic Training course
Employees must plan to stay overnight during both the SCCJA Basic Training and the SCDNR Wildlife Basic but are permitted to go home on weekends.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Law Enforcement Officer, please fill out the recruitment information form.