** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Jan. 2, 2014
Youth coon hunt to be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 11
A youth coon hunt will be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 11, sponsored by the Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Bowman youth coon hunt, contact Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. The Jan. 11 event is an AKC Youth Hunt.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for February.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Feb. 1 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February (Date to be Announced) – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 11
- 'Longleaf 101' offered at Cheraw State Park Feb. 18-20 for landowners, land managers
- Researchers complete field work to estimate mountain bear population
- DNR cracking down on vandals at Bald Rock Heritage Preserve
- Increased fuel from summer’s heavy rainfall will impact prescribed fire behavior, effects
- Here are some simple ways for people to help wildlife during holidays
- After the holidays, let Christmas trees benefit fish and wildlife
- Prescribed burns restore habitat, improve safety on heritage preserves
- Lower Saluda River trout stocked by helicopter
- 26th Annual Wild Quail Management Seminar scheduled for March 6-7, 2014
- Applications for Conservation Stewardship Program due Jan. 17
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2014 registration
- DNR to issue 365 day saltwater licenses beginning 2014
- DNR adds training session for removal of double-crested cormorants on Santee Cooper lakes
- Peachtree Rock topples
- 2013 Environmental Awareness award nominations sought
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases