Jan. 18, 2013
Youth coon hunt to be held in Ridgeville on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013
A youth coon hunt will be held in Ridgeville on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013, sponsored by the Summerville Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2013, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Ridgeville hunt contact Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Please note the hunt is limited to 24 entries.
These youth coon hunts serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in the Junior Division (6-12) and the top hunter in the Senior Division (13-17) will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 23, 2013.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609 in Columbia.
The remaining youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Feb. 9, 2013 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 23, 2013 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic set for March 22-24 at State Fairgrounds in Columbia
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Ridgeville on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Jan. 24 in Columbia
- Fishing seminar to be held at Conway HS on Feb. 2
- North Island hog hunts with dogs to remove destructive feral hogs
- Public invited to Family Fishing Clinics
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2013 registration
- Late-season migratory bird season continues
- NRCS/Conservation Districts accepting applications from SC farmers,
ranchers for Conservation Initiatives
- Youth coon hunt to be held in McConnells on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013
- Shooting Sports Field Day set for Feb.9 near Garnett
- 2012 Environmental Awareness award nominations sought
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video