** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
February 21, 2013
Additional dates added to Family Fishing Clinics
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) continues to add dates to the popular Family Fishing Clinics. Make sure to sign up as the classes fill up quickly!
Want to get your line in the water and reel in the big one, but you don't feel confident with your angling skills? Family Fishing Clinics is an introductory class to fishing.
The clinics are sponsored by the DNR Aquatic Education Section and are designed to introduce the basics of fishing to the young and old or those who need a refresher to increase their future participation in the sport. Family Fishing Clinics teach skills on how to tie a fishing knot, rig a rod and reel, and casting. The best part is everyone will get to try their hand at fishing. Family Fishing Clinics are free of charge.
Register online or for more information regarding an upcoming Family Fishing Clinic event or to host an event, please contact Lorianne Riggin, firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 737-8483.
The scheduled clinics are as follows:
* April 6 - 8:30 a.m. to 12 noon - Lake Rabon (SC Highway 252, west of Laurens)
* April 27 – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Lake Hartwell State Park
* May 25 – 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – Lee State Park
- Contact DNR to hunt hogs, coyotes, and armadillos at night
- SC artificial reef GPS data now available for download
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public four Saturdays in March
- Additional dates added to Family Fishing Clinics
- 4,623 sea turtle nests reported for 2012 season
- Freezing temperatures don't slow down Dixie Hornet Anglers
- Harry Hampton Wildlife Fund donates $167,850 to DNR
- Rep. Bill Hixon and 14 young hunters bag squirrel on recent hunt
- S.C. Wildlife’s 29th annual outdoor photo contest accepting entries
- DNR program helps keep waterways clean
- Duck hunters finish the season on DNR Waterfowl Management Areas
- SC sea turtle volunteer recognized at international symposium
- DNR Youth Bass Fishing Championship to be held on Lake Murray March 23
- Jocassee Gorges ecological burns to restore habitat, improve safety
- Antler measuring sessions set across South Carolina
- Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic set for March 22-24 at State Fairgrounds in Columbia
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2013 registration
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video