** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
July 31, 2013
Register now for Lake Johnson Family Fishing Clinic
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is conducting a Family Fishing Clinic at Lake Edwin Johnson in Spartanburg County from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on August 17. Make sure to sign up as these clinics fill up quickly.
In addition to Lake Johnson there is another clinic scheduled for August 31 at Dreher Island State Park from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Lake Edwin Johnson is a 40 acre fertilized lake providing largemouth bass, bluegill, shellcracker and catfish fishing opportunities. The lake is located at the end of State Road 359 off of SC 295 between Spartanburg and Pacolet.
Want to get your line in the water and reel in the big one, but you don't feel confident with your angling skills? Family Fishing Clinics is an introductory class to fishing. The clinics are sponsored by the DNR Aquatic Education Section and are designed to introduce the basics of fishing to the young and old or those who need a refresher
to increase their future participation in the sport.
Family Fishing Clinics teach skills on how to tie a fishing knot, rig a rod and reel, and casting. The best part is everyone will get to try their hand at fishing. Family Fishing Clinics are free of charge. Register online or for more information regarding an upcoming Family Fishing Clinic event or to host an event, please contact Lorianne Riggin, firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 737-8483.
- Forty-eight fields available for public dove hunting
- Youth dove hunt offered in Union County by DNR, U.S. Forest Service
- Online registration for lottery hunts now available
- Register now for Lake Johnson Family Fishing Clinic
- Early-season migratory bird seasons approved by S.C. Natural Resources Board
- Feeding summer hummingbirds provides entertainment and beauty
- Dixie HS anglers advance to 2014 B.A.S.S. High School Classic
- New pistol range now open at Belfast WMA
- Barnwell County Career Center bests 132 teams to take HS Fishing World Finals Championship
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day set Sept. 21 at Duke's World of Energy
- Camping ban remains in effect at Eastatoe Creek Heritage Preserve in Jocassee Gorges
- Clemson youth deer hunt registration ends Sept. 16
- DNR acquires 754 acre Vaught Tract in Lewis Ocean Bay
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases