** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
July 3, 2012
Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for opening day Youth Draw Dove Hunts
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will co-sponsor opening day youth draw dove hunts at eight locations on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012. Co-sponsors of these hunts include the US Forest Service, Santee Cooper, SCDOT, SC Forestry Commission and Clemson University.
In order to apply this year, interested persons must complete an application and mail it to the DNR main office in Columbia or fax it to (803) 734-6020. The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, Aug. 10.
Participants for the hunt will be selected by drawing, and both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by mail. There is no cost to apply or to attend. To obtain an application for the hunt, contact DNR in Columbia at (803) 734-3886 or download an application from the DNR website.
Youth participants must be age 17 or younger and they must be accompanied by an adult 21-years-old or older. Adults may have one but no more than two youth at each field, and only one youth at a time is allowed to shoot. Adults are not permitted to shoot on youth hunts, and all shooting must be done by youth.
Youth who are under 16 years of age are not required to have any license or permit. Youth who are age 16 or 17 are required to have a Junior Sportsman’s License and a free Migratory Bird Permit. A Hunter Education Certificate is required in order to purchase a Junior Sportsman’s license.
The following fields are included in the Opening Day Youth Draw Dove Hunts (contact numbers are given for additional information concerning each field):
- Abbeville Co. – Power of Partnerships - US Forest Service field near Abbeville. (864) 223-2731
- Anderson Co. – Simpson Station - Clemson University field near Pendleton (864) 654-1671 ext. 16
- Newberry Co. – McCullough SCDOT field near Whitmire (803) 734-3886
- Oconee Co. – Long Creek Tract - US Forest Service field near Westminster (864) 654-1671 ext. 16
- Orangeburg Co. – Santee Cooper field near Eutawville (803) 734-3886
- Sumter Co. – Manchester State Forest SC Forestry Comm. Field near Wedgefield (803) 734-3886
- Union Co. – Sedalia US Forest Service field near Sedalia (864) 427-5140
- York Co. – DNR Draper WMA field near McConnells (864) 427-514
- SC Drought Response Committee conference call on July 19
- Third Round Results from the SC Governor’s Cup Billfishing Series
- Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for opening day Youth Draw Dove Hunts
- Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for Limited Entry Dove Hunts
- New fishing agreement between Georgia, South Carolina took effect July 1
- DNR courtesy boating inspections continue through July 4 holiday
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets July 11 at Table Rock State Park
- Waterfowl Advisory Committee meets July 10 in Columbia
- New DNR website on in-water sea turtle research activities
- Plant fields now for fall mourning dove hunts
- Video - Drink. Drive. Die?
- DNR continues to add fishing clinics around the state
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video