August 29, 2012
Spartanburg Water's annual Lake Sweep set Sept. 22 at Lake Bowen Park
Spartanburg Water is sponsoring its 24th annual Lake Sweep from 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 22. Spartanburg Water is hosting the event to help celebrate the statewide River Sweep/Beach Sweep initiative coordinated by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR).
Lake Sweep is part of a statewide effort and is presented as an opportunity for members of the Spartanburg community to help keep local waterways and roadsides clean of litter and debris. In the past, area high schools, colleges, businesses, organizations, and others within the community have helped to remove more than 20,000 pounds of litter each year. As a result, the efforts of Spartanburg Water and the community have helped Lake Sweep become one of the largest and most successful litter clean-up events in South Carolina.
Area schools, colleges, and various community organizations have been invited to participate. Participants will meet at the boat landing near the Lake Bowen Wardens' Office as a gathering point for all volunteers. All volunteers for Lake Sweep are to meet at Lake Bowen at 7:30 a.m. for registration and complimentary doughnuts and drink. Teams will begin assembling at 7:45 a.m., and buses will be departing for clean-up sites at 8 a.m. Teams of five people will be organized, and prizes will be awarded. Each team member will receive a Lake Sweep T-shirt and free lunch.
In celebration of Earth Day in April, fifth-grade students in Spartanburg County schools were given the opportunity to submit T-shirt designs for Lake Sweep. The first place winner’s design was used to create the T-shirts for participants. This year’s winner is Jenna Varner of Boiling Springs Intermediate School.
For information on Lake Sweep, or to volunteer, contact John Moore at (864) 592-2240 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
- Late-season migratory bird regulations set
- DNR & Greenville Co. Clemson Extension Service to host Sept. 1 alligator hunting seminar
- Highlights from the seabird nesting season at DNR bird sanctuaries
- Recreational fishing for black sea bass closes after Labor Day
- Spartanburg Water's annual Lake Sweep set Sept. 22 at Lake Bowen Park
- Coastal archery deer hunt opportunities available
- Hunters must check deer taken on lower state WMA's
- 'Keep Light’s Out for Loggerheads'
- Import of deer, elk parts into S.C. still limited by state regulation
- Deer season forecast good
- Jocassee Gorges roads to open Sept. 14
- 24th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 15
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to public on Saturdays in September
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video