2014-2015 Summary of Changes in Hunting Regulations
Hunters should be aware that significant changes have been made to hunting seasons and bag limits on WMAs across the state. Changes have also been made to either-sex days and antlerless deer limits on private lands. A brief summary of major changes is included below.
- Complete list of private land deer seasons and bag limits.
- Small game seasons
- Regulations for individual WMAs
Deer bag limits on all WMAs combined statewide were standardized as follows (except Crackerneck WMA and all DNR lottery hunts):
- Five total deer for all seasons and methods combined. No more than 2 bucks total, no more than 2 deer per day, and no more than 1 antlerless deer per day may be harvested.
Deer seasons on WMAs have been standardized throughout the state (especially by Game Zone). Refer to the specific Game Zone and the specific WMA seasons.
Many small game seasons and bag limits on WMAs have been standardized throughout the state. Refer to individual WMAs for exact hunt dates and bag limits.
Many feral hog hunts on WMAs have been standardized and strategically placed to maximize the harvest. Feral hog hunting regulations on WMAs have been consolidated into Regulation 2.16.
On WMAs in Game Zones 3–6, the use of buckshot during still gun hunts for deer is prohibited.
Private Land & WMA Changes
Deer either-sex days for Game Zones are as follows:
- Game Zone 1 — last 3 Saturdays in November
- Game Zones 2–6 — first 3 Saturdays in October, last 3 Saturdays in November, last Saturday in December, and January 1.
The antlerless deer limit for Game Zone 1 has been changed to 5 total for all seasons and methods combined.
The antlerless deer limit for Game Zone 2 has been changed to 5 total for all seasons and methods combined.
On WMA and private lands statewide, the daily antlerless bag limit is 1 antlerless deer per day when using either individual antlerless deer tags or on designated either-sex days.
The daily bag limit for deer on the Statewide youth deer hunt day (both private and WMA) is 2 deer total with only 1 being an antlerless deer. On WMA and private lands, hunters using archery equipment may harvest antlerless deer without tagging them during all archery only deer hunts and primitive weapons deer hunts beginning September 15.
Individual antlerless deer tags are valid in all Game Zones on both private and WMA lands as referenced below:
- Game Zone 1 - One individual antlerless deer tag may be used on either private or WMA lands.
- Game Zones 2–6 - Up to two individual antlerless deer tags may be used on WMA lands and up to 4 may be used on private land.