** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
August 27, 2014New locations added to DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
In an effort to keep state waterways safe during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend, the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Law Enforcement Division will again be conducting courtesy safety inspections at some public boat landings. DNR has added three additional locations to the Labor Day inspections which include: Aug. 30 - East Bay Street Park - Sampit River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Georgetown Co.; with two more on Aug 31 - Bass Pro Shop Landing - Hwy 22 at Hwy 17 on ICW - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Horry Co. and A. M. Flood Landing (Shrine Club) - Lake Moultrie - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Berkeley Co.
The DNR boating safety and enforcement officers will perform a quick, but thorough, inspection for items such as required safety equipment and proper boat and motor registration. Those who are not in compliance with safety regulations or registration requirements will not be ticketed during the complimentary inspections. Instead, they will be given an opportunity to correct the problem before they launch their boat. DNR officers will also be available to answer questions and give boaters tips on how to stay safe on the water.
To report boating violations such as reckless operation or an intoxicated boat operator, call the DNR toll-free, 24-hour hotline at 1-800-922-5431. For a copy of South Carolina's boating regulations, to find out about local boating safety courses or to obtain a free float plan form contact the DNR Boating Safety Office at 1-800-277-4301.
Courtesy safety inspections at the following locations and times:
* August 29
Galivants Ferry Landing - Little Pee Dee - 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. - Marion Co.
* August 30
Alljoy Landing - May River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Beaufort Co.
Billy Dreher Island - Lake Murray - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Newberry Co.
Bushy Park Salt - Cooper River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Berkeley Co.
Buster Boyd Landing - Lake Wylie - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - York Co.
Clearwater Cove Landing - Lake Wateree - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Kershaw Co.
Conway Marina Landing - Waccamaw River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Horry Co.
East Bay Street Park - Sampit River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Georgetown Co.
Easterling Landing - Lake Robinson - 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Darlington Co.
Lake Murray Dam - Lake Murray - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Lexington Co.
Leeds Avenue Landing (County Farm) - Ashley River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Charleston Co.
Paradise Island Boat Landing - Wando River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Charleston Co.
Riverfork Public Landing - Lake Greenwood - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Greenwood Co.
South Cove Park - Lake Keowee - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Oconee Co.
* August 31
A. M. Flood Landing (Shrine Club) - Lake Moultrie - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Berkeley Co.
Alex Harvin - Lake Marion - 12 noon to 2 p.m. - Clarendon Co.
Bass Pro Shop Landing - Hwy 22 at Hwy 17 on ICW - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Horry Co.
Browns Ferry Landing - Black River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Georgetown Co.
Cross Island Landing - Broad River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Beaufort Co.
Herbert H. Jessen Landing - Ashley River - 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. - Dorchester Co.
Main Ramp - Lake Bowen - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Spartanburg Co.
Remley's Point Boat Landing - Wando River - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Charleston Co.
Wapoo Cut Landing - South of Chas. Harbor on ICW - 10 a.m. to 12 noon - Charleston Co.
- New locations added to DNR courtesy boating inspections set during Labor Day weekend
- Veterans encouraged to apply for Jackson, S.C. deer hunt
- All-time antler records update now available on DNR website
- Sept. 26 deadline to apply for Manchester State Forest youth deer hunt
- DNR, Air Force to conduct youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Belfast WMA youth deer hunt
- S.C. Prescribed Fire Council Sept. 24-25 meeting to focus on Jocassee Gorges, Upstate
- Sept. 15 is deadline for DNR's special youth deer hunts in Upstate
- 26th Annual Beach Sweep/River Sweep Set for Sept. 20
- DNR, U.S. Forest Service to provide special youth dove hunt Sept. 6 in Union County
- DNR and SCPRT partner to host Sept. 13 Cheraw youth fishing rodeo, paddle clinic
- Youth draw deer hunts set at Bluefield/Moultrie Hunt Unit this fall
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in September
- Abbeville County youth dove hunt to be held Sept. 6
- Dove hunting opportunity expanded for SC hunters
- Volunteer instructors sought for new Family Fishing Clinics
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day set Sept. 20 at Duke Energy's World of Energy
- Deer hunts for mobility impaired hunters to be held in Upstate
- Conservation Bank to host Land Trusts workshop Sept. 23 in Columbia
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases