** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Sept. 20, 2013
DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in cooperation with the United States Air Force (USAF) Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will conduct a special youth deer hunt at the Poinsett Electronic Combat Range in Sumter County. This hunt is scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013. Fifteen (15) youth will be selected by random drawing to participate in this special hunt and there is no application fee or hunting license required for those youth 15 and younger. However, a junior hunting license is required for those youth who are 16 and 17.
Immediately after check-in and a brief refresher course on hunter safety, all participants are required to shoot their firearms at the rifle range before going on the hunt. Firearms for this hunt will be restricted to high-powered center fire rifles. Rifles with telescopic sights are recommended.
Hunting will be from elevated stands and a parent or an adult from a cooperating organization will accompany each youth in the deer stand. Before the hunt DNR and Shaw Air Force Base Asset Management Flight will provide lunch for the participants.
To be eligible for the special youth deer hunt, applicants must meet the following requirements:
* Applicants must be between the ages of 12 and 17 inclusive at the time of the hunt.
* Applicants must have a hunter education certificate.
* A parent or legal guardian must provide written permission for their child to participate.
* A parent, or legal guardian or other responsible adult must provide transportation for each youth to and from the event.
For an application, contact DNR at the following numbers: (803) 734-3886 or (803) 734-3898. Applications are also available from the Columbia DNR Office or the DNR website. Applications must be received by 5 p.m. on Oct. 11, 2013. Please return application and questionnaire to: SCDNR/USAF Youth Deer Hunt, Attn: Willie Simmons, P.O. Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202
- Shellfish season will open Oct. 1 in South Carolina
- Preserve fall, winter habitat for quail, rabbits
- Archaeology Field Day at Santee State Park on Sept. 21
- DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- Sept. 27 deadline to apply for Manchester State Forest youth deer hunt
- Four servicemen honored who lost their lives in 1950 Jocassee Gorges airplane crash
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Sept. 26 in Columbia
- Spartanburg County Thomason Shooting Range adds pistol area
- Deer season forecast good
- Shrimp-baiting season opens Sept. 13 in S.C. waters
- Marsh hen, teal season gets underway
- Muzzleloader season rescheduled for three coastal Heritage Preserves
- Sept. 27 deadline to apply for Congaree Bluffs youth deer hunt
- Sept. 27 deadline to apply for Belfast WMA youth deer hunt
- Boardwalk at Dungannon Plantation Heritage Preserve reopened
- All-time antler records update now available on DNR website
- Registration still available for upcoming Family Fishing Clinics
- Anglers help monitor tiger shrimp
- Banded mourning doves provide vital information to biologists
- Hunters must check deer taken on lower state WMAs
- Coastal archery deer hunt opportunities available
- Wood duck box applications available: Deadline Nov. 1
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases