Oct. 31, 2013
Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov.16
A youth coon hunt will be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 16, sponsored by the Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2014, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Fountain Inn youth coon hunt, contact Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. The Nov. 16 youth coon hunt is limited to 24 entries.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for February 2014.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Dec. 7 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth Hunt.
* Dec. 14 – Heath Springs, sponsored by the Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association. Contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
* Jan. 11, 2014 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Feb. 1, 2014 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2014 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Wild turkey reproduction drops significantly this summer
- Smallmouth bass stocked in Lake Jocassee at Devils Fork State Park
- State Heritage Trust Advisory Board meets Nov. 7 in Richland County
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov.16
- 1,500 bream stocked at Oconee State Park near Walhalla
- SC, GA DNR's, Army Corps team up for Lake Thurmond striper study
- Results from 2013 Wood Stork Surveys and Nest Monitoring
- Venison is not only source of toxoplasmosis parasite
- DNR to conduct deer hunting clinic in Columbia area Nov. 11
- Volunteer instructors sought to teach Family Fishing Clinics
- South Carolina Conservation Bank Board to meet Nov. 6 in Columbia
- Muzzleloader season rescheduled for three coastal Heritage Preserves
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases