Oct. 24, 2013
Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 2
A youth coon hunt will be held in Edgefield Saturday, Nov. 2, sponsored by the Red Hill Houndsmen Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2014, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Edgefield youth coon hunt, contact Wayne Agner at (803) 637-6219.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for February 2014.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Nov. 16 – Fountain Inn, sponsored by Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. Limited to 24 entries.
* Dec. 7 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth Hunt.
* Dec. 14 – Heath Springs, sponsored by the Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association. Contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
* Jan. 11, 2014 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Feb. 1, 2014 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2014 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- 1,500 bream stocked at Oconee State Park near Walhalla
- SC, GA DNR's, Army Corps team up for Lake Thurmond striper study
- Results from 2013 Wood Stork Surveys and Nest Monitoring
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 2
- Venison is not only source of toxoplasmosis parasite
- DNR to conduct deer hunting clinic in Columbia area Nov. 11
- Volunteer instructors sought to teach Family Fishing Clinics
- South Carolina Conservation Bank Board to meet Nov. 6 in Columbia
- Six South Carolina captive bears moved to Colorado wildlife sanctuary
- First case of Snake Fungal Disease verified in South Carolina
- Wild turkey harvest in S.C. decreases this spring
- 6,000 bream stocked at Lake Edwin Johnson near Spartanburg
- Muzzleloader season rescheduled for three coastal Heritage Preserves
- Proper disposal of deer remains is a rule of good hunter ethics
- Motorists need to watch for deer on state roads
- Wood duck box applications available: Deadline Nov. 1
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases