A youth coon hunt will be held in Heath Springs on Saturday, Dec. 14, sponsored by the Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2014, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Dec. 14 Heath Springs youth coon hunt, contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for February 2014.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Jan. 11, 2014 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Feb. 1, 2014 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2014 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
Follow DNR on the Web: