Nov. 22, 2013
Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 7
A youth coon hunt will be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 7, sponsored by the Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2014, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Georgetown youth coon hunt, contact Floyd Lambert at (843) 264-8093. The Dec. 7 event is a UKC Youth Hunt.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Youth Hunt Championship. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for February 2014.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Dec. 14 – Heath Springs, sponsored by the Lancaster County Coon Hunters Association. Contact Ross Mullis at (704) 207-6319.
* Jan. 11, 2014 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Feb. 1, 2014 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 8, 2014 – Newberry, sponsored by Whitmire Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Roger Enlow at (864) 923-5431.
* February 2014 – State Championship Hunt, Webb Wildlife Center, Hampton County, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- DNR begins program for removal of double-crested cormorants from Santee Cooper lakes
- Wild and domestic turkeys: birds of a different feather
- Hunting season is a time to practice and promote firearm safety
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 7
- Sibling bear orphans released back into South Carolina mountains
- Channel catfish stocked in Saluda River near Ware Shoals
- Midlands Striper Club donates $7500 to DNR
- Redbreast stocked in Little Pee Dee at Galivants Ferry
- Dove hunting resumes Nov. 23
- 2013 Environmental Awareness award nominations sought
- Results from 2013 Wood Stork Surveys and Nest Monitoring
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases