** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Feb. 5, 2013
Youth coon hunt to be held Feb. 9 in Barnwell
A youth coon hunt will be held in Barnwell on Saturday, Feb. 9, sponsored by the Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. It’s the final part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Barnwell youth coon hunt, contact Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359.
These youth coon hunts serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in the Junior Division (6-12) and the top hunter in the Senior Division (13-17) will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 23, 2013.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609 in Columbia.
* Feb. 23 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- New fishing pier dedicated Feb. 8 at Steamboat Landing on Edisto Island
- Draft 2013 Aquatic Plant Management Plan available for public review, comment
- Youth coon hunt to be held Feb. 9 in Barnwell
- Volunteer instructors sought for new Family Fishing Clinics
- Spring turkey hunters should order tags now for upcoming season
- T.L. Hanna holds fishing tourney on muddy Lake Seccession
- Complete collection of duck stamp art to be displayed at Anderson Arts Center through Feb. 22
- Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic set for March 22-24 at State Fairgrounds in Columbia
- North Island hog hunts with dogs to remove destructive feral hogs
- Public invited to Family Fishing Clinics
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2013 registration
- Shooting Sports Field Day set for Feb.9 near Garnett
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video