April 25, 2013
Sign up now for May 11 Lake Russell kids fishing rodeo
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) in partnership with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will celebrate 25 years of providing fishing opportunities to children with the annual Kid's Fishing Derby and Water Safety Program at Richard B. Russell Lake on May 11.
The 25th annual derby will take place at the Calhoun Falls Bank Fishing Area, located on Highway 72 about one mile west of Calhoun Falls, S.C. The derby starts at 8 a.m. and will last until about 1 p.m. Gates will open around 7 a.m.
Participants are encouraged to pre-register online. This website also includes additional information about fishing events in South Carolina. Pre-registration is also available by calling the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Richard B. Russell Project, toll-free at (800) 944-7207; or by calling the DNR Aquatic Education office at (803) 737-8483.
The event is free of charge and open to children 15 years and under (no fishing license required for children). Children will fish for catfish inside a heavily-stocked fishing area for a 30-minute time slot. After fishing, officials will provide an enthusiastic and fun water safety presentation. The event concludes with a hotdog lunch (free for children 15 and younger) and prize drawings. Attendees age 16 and older may purchase a hotdog lunch for $2 (subject to availability). Anyone age 16 and older may fish outside of the designated kid’s area with a valid South Carolina or Georgia fishing license.
Attendees should bring their own fishing gear, bait, life jacket, sunscreen, bug spray, and other items they may require for the event. No alcoholic beverages are permitted. The derby will occur rain-or-shine, but it may be delayed or cancelled in the event of severe weather.
DNR partnered with several organizations and with many volunteers from the community to host this event, including the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and the Lake Russell Recreation and Tourism Coalition—a committee formed by the Calhoun Falls Chamber of Commerce.
- 2013 public alligator hunting, special WMA season applications available online May 1
- Drought officially over for all South Carolina counties
- DNR graduates 14 from Criminal Justice Academy
- South Carolina Conservation Bank Board to meet April 30 in Columbia
- DNR seeks angler support for cobia research
- Don't adopt a 'lost' fawn, it's illegal and likely not abandoned
- Register now for Lake Hartwell Family Fishing Clinic, Jasper Co. Youth Fishing Rodeo
- Pro angler Hank Parker to headline May 14 TL Hanna HS fundraiser
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets April 23 at Bonneau
- Aiken County wildlife area opens to the public Saturdays in May
- SC, GA DNR's, Army Corps team up for Lake Thurmond striper study
- Successful fall dove hunt depends on planning, preparing fields now
- Two high school share first annual DNR Youth Bass Fishing Championship
- Archery in the Schools state tournament at Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic in Columbia
- DNR completes new regional ocean data layers for the southeast
- Public asked to report sightings of state-endangered swallow-tailed kite
- Bat disease white-nose syndrome confirmed in South Carolina
- Reel Art contest winners announced
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video
- Archived news releases