** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
September 20, 2012
Youth Bass Fishing League underway for the season for Dixie Hornet Anglers
The Dixie High School (Due West) Hornet Anglers kicked off the season with a tournament held Sept. 8 on Lake Secession.
Despite afternoon thundershowers cutting the day short by an hour, all 34 anglers fished and everyone had a great time. Chris Bensel won the 14 to 18-year-old group with Ben Stone in second and he also nabbed the big fish, Alex Davenport placed third. The 11-14 group was won by Andrew Mitchell with Wilson Sykes coming in second. Thirty-nine fish were caught, weighing in at 82.88 pounds with an average of 2.13 pounds each. Four anglers caught over ten pounds each.
Form a bass fishing club at your school and you can also compete in tournaments around South Carolina. Clubs currently compete in inter-squad tournaments, against other schools as well as fish The Bass Federation of SC Junior Championship, the Student Angler Federation High School Championship and the B.A.S.S Juniors State Championship.
All you need to do is get a minimum of six students (within the 11-18 year old range) with dues paid and you can have a Youth Bass Fishing Club. You'll also need an adult at your school to help lead the club, provide advice and help arrange at least two club tournaments, fundraisers, speakers and other learning sessions pertaining to fishing for club meetings. The Youth Bass Fishing Clubs is a product of a partnership between the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, The Bass Federation of South Carolina and B.A.S.S with help and support from parents, teachers, school districts, local bait & tackle shops, community partners and Pure Fishing.
Find out more about Youth Bass Fishing Clubs by contacting Aquatic Education Coordinator Lorianne Riggin at (803) 737-8483 or RigginL@dnr.sc.gov.
- DNR needs anglers to contribute to Red Snapper data collection
- Feeding, baiting deer in black bear range not wise
- SC Drought Response Committee conference call on Sept. 27
- DNR hosts Oct. 13 Cheraw youth fishing rodeo, paddle clinic
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Manchester State Forest youth deer hunt
- DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Congaree Bluffs youth deer hunt
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Belfast WMA youth deer hunt
- Youth Bass Fishing League underway for the season for Dixie Hornet Anglers
- Sassafras Mountain improvement project begins atop roof of South Carolina
- Deadline Oct.15 for wood box applications
- Award presented to U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham for conservation legacy
- 1,827 wood stork nests counted in SC this year
- Oyster, clam season to open Oct. 1
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Sept. 21 in Columbia
- Video-Walhalla Fish Hatchery
- DNR to build pistol range at the Spartanburg gun range
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day Sept. 29 at Duke's World of Energy
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video