September 17, 2012
Deadline Oct.15 for wood duck box applications
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources, in partnership with the South Carolina State Chapter of Ducks Unlimited and the South Carolina Department of Corrections, will continue the construction and distribution of wood duck boxes this winter. Applications are available online and will be accepted until Oct. 15, 2012. Approximately 1,000 boxes will be distributed in January. Ducks Unlimited has contributed approximately 50% of the cost for construction and distribution. The Wateree Correctional Institute will assemble the predator shields and construct the boxes. Each unit will consist of a treated pole, a predator shield and assembled box.
The wood duck is the most important waterfowl species in S.C. and is the only duck that breeding habitat can be managed effectively throughout all geographic regions of the state. This Project supplements natural production in tree cavities of forested wetlands by providing artificial nesting sites. Fewer natural cavities are available today because of the impacts of human activity upon bottomland hardwoods.
Private land owners wishing to obtain wood duck boxes can download an application. Contact DNR waterfowl biologist Dean Harrigal for information on the Statewide Wood Duck Box Project at (843) 844-8957. Up to 5 boxes per applicant will be available for distribution throughout the state. The application deadline is Oct. 15, 2012.
The statewide project for construction and distribution of nest box units to requesting landowners began in 1982. Since 1982, over 32,000 nest box units have been issued to over 4,300 cooperators. The project provides nest boxes, poles and predator guards to landowners having suitable wood duck production and brood-rearing habitat.
- DNR needs anglers to contribute to Red Snapper data collection
- Feeding, baiting deer in black bear range not wise
- SC Drought Response Committee conference call on Sept. 27
- DNR hosts Oct. 13 Cheraw youth fishing rodeo, paddle clinic
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Manchester State Forest youth deer hunt
- DNR, Air Force set youth deer hunt at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Congaree Bluffs youth deer hunt
- Sept. 28 deadline to apply for Belfast WMA youth deer hunt
- Youth Bass Fishing League underway for the season for Dixie Hornet Anglers
- Sassafras Mountain improvement project begins atop roof of South Carolina
- Deadline Oct.15 for wood box applications
- Award presented to U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham for conservation legacy
- 1,827 wood stork nests counted in SC this year
- Oyster, clam season to open Oct. 1
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets Sept. 21 in Columbia
- Video-Walhalla Fish Hatchery
- DNR to build pistol range at the Spartanburg gun range
- Upstate National Hunting and Fishing Day Sept. 29 at Duke's World of Energy
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video