October 25, 2012
Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 3
A youth coon hunt will be held in Edgefield Saturday, Nov. 3, sponsored by the Red Hill Houndsmen Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts to be held around South Carolina from October through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Edgefield youth coon hunt, contact Wayne Agner at (803) 637-6219.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 23, 2013.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
● Nov. 17 – Fountain Inn, sponsored by Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. Limited to 24 entries.
● Nov. 24 – Travelers Rest, sponsored by Greenville County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Will Fullbright (864) 934-4726. Limited to 24 participants.
● Dec. 8 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth Hunt.
● Jan. 12, 2013 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
● Jan. 26, 2013 – McConnells, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (803) 984-9798.
● Feb. 2, 2013 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
● Feb. 9, 2013 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
● Feb. 23, 2013 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- 2011-12 quail season slightly improved from previous year
- Highest loggerhead nesting for South Carolina since 1982
- New artificial reef dedication ceremony Oct. 28 in Murrells Inlet
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Edgefield on Saturday, Nov. 3
- South Carolina Conservation Bank Board to meet Nov. 7 in Columbia
- Dispose of unwanted marine equipment at Beaufort-area Clean Marine event Nov. 2-4
- Motorists need to watch for deer on state roads
- Just-sprouted longleaf pine seedlings are good to eat in the fall!
- View autumn leaf colors at state heritage and wildlife lands
- DNR Small Game Project ranks top counties for rabbit
- Venison is not only sources of Toxoplasmosis parasite
- Applications available for coastal black bear season
- DNR re-launches volunteer Marine Gamefish Tagging Program
- New Endangered Species (loggerhead sea turtle) license plate
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video