** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
November 7, 2012
Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 17
A youth coon hunt will be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 17, sponsored by the Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Fountain Inn youth coon hunt, contact Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two huntersin each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 23, 2013.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
● Nov. 24 – Travelers Rest, sponsored by Greenville County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Will Fullbright (864) 934-4726. Limited to 24 participants.
● Dec. 8 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth Hunt.
● Jan. 12, 2013 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
● Jan. 26, 2013 – McConnells, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (803) 984-9798.
● Feb. 2, 2013 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
● Feb. 9, 2013 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
● Feb. 23, 2013 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Wild turkey harvest in SC increases substantially this spring
- Natural Resources Board meets Nov. 15 in Charleston
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 17
- Seven teams turn out for Lake Greenwood BASS Junior Bassmaster State Championship
- Waterfowl Advisory Committee meets Nov. 13 near McClellanville
- Dove hunting resumes Nov. 17
- 2011-12 quail season slightly improved from previous year
- Highest loggerhead nesting for South Carolina since 1982
- Motorists need to watch for deer on state roads
- Just-sprouted longleaf pine seedlings are good to eat in the fall!
- DNR Small Game Project ranks top counties for rabbit
- New Endangered Species (loggerhead sea turtle) license plate
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video