November 20, 2012
Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 8
A youth coon hunt will be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 8, sponsored by the Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February 2013, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Georgetown youth coon hunt, contact Floyd Lambert at (843) 264-8093. This is a UKC Youth Hunt.
These youth coon hunts serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-12 and 13-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 23, 2013.
Youth can hunt in as many youth coon hunts as they want, and all events are free of charge.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609 in Columbia.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
* Jan. 12, 2013 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Allen Shuler at (803) 533-1370. AKC Youth Hunt.
* Jan. 26, 2013 – McConnells, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (803) 984-9798.
* Feb. 2, 2013 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 619-5265. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 9, 2013 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 entries.
* Feb. 23, 2013 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- Domestic turkeys lack "wood smarts" of their wild cousins
- Numerous Lowcountry small game hunting opportunities available
- Four teams compete in the 2nd Annual T.L. Hanna Invitational
- Dec. 1 designated youth waterfowl day
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Georgetown on Saturday, Dec. 8
- DNR stocks 16,000 redear sunfish in Savannah River
- Wild turkey reproduction drops slightly this summer
- DNR announces additional closing dates to two Upstate ranges
- Shrimp-baiting season closes Nov. 13 in S.C. waters
- South Carolina Conservation Bank funds six new land grant applications
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Travelers Rest on Saturday, Nov. 24
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video