** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
July 24, 2012
Clemson youth deer hunt registration ends Sept. 17
The registration deadline for a youth deer hunt sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and Clemson University’s Department of Forest Resources is Monday, Sept. 17.
The Fant’s Grove Youth Deer Hunt is set for Saturday, Oct. 6 at Fant’s Grove Wildlife Management Area near Clemson. A public drawing for the 22 slots on the deer hunt will be held at noon Wednesday, Sept. 19 at the Clemson office of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) at 311 Natural Resources Drive near Clemson University. All interested applicants are welcome to attend the drawing.
Applications can be obtained at the DNR website or e-mail ChrislipJ@dnr.sc.gov. Applications may also be picked up at the DNR Clemson office.
All participants must have an adult, 21 years or older, with them to hunt. Youth must be 17 or younger. All adults will be required to have a valid state hunting license, big game permit and a WMA permit. Only the youths will be allowed to shoot.
The purpose of this hunt is to help educate and introduce youth to deer hunting and other outdoor experiences. The hunt will also help manage the deer population on Fant’s Grove Wildlife Management Area.
A mandatory registration, safety class and shooting range session will be held on the morning of the hunt. All participants must attend in order to hunt. Only one rifle or shotgun will be allowed per stand; rifles will probably be the better choice. Each youth may harvest two deer of either sex. All participants will be required to wear international orange in the form of a vest and/or cap. Verification letters with further details will be mailed to all successfully drawn applicants. Applicants not drawn will also receive notification.
- Video-Loggerhead hatchlings emerge from their nests
- DNR and partners schedule youth deer hunts in Upstate
- Bluefield/Moultrie Hunt Unit youth hunts this fall
- SC Conservation Bank Board meets, issues grant awards
- State Heritage Trust Advisory Board meets Aug. 2 in Columbia
- DNR to host two public meeting on trout regulations on Lower Saluda River
- Abbeville County youth dove hunt applications due Aug. 10
- Clemson youth deer hunt registration ends Sept. 17
- ‘Longleaf, as Far as the Eye Can See’ theme of Longleaf Alliance conference set for Oct. in Texas
- Spaces available for upcoming Family Fishing Clinics
- Drought status maintained for all counties except Barnwell
- Flood insurance community meeting set Aug. 2 in Florence
- DNR to host series of alligator hunting seminars
- Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for opening day Youth Draw Dove Hunts
- Aug. 10 is deadline to apply for Limited Entry Dove Hunts
- Video - Drink. Drive. Die?
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video