** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
January 6, 2012
Youth coon hunt to be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 14
A youth coon hunt will be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 14, sponsored by the Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. The Bowman youth coon hunt is part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Bowman youth coon hunt, contact Elliot Shuler at (803) 496-3862. The Bowman youth coon hunt is an AKC Youth World Qualifier hunt, and AKC rules apply.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-13 and 14-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 25.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult. All events are free of charge. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
Other upcoming youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- Jan. 28, 2012 – Rock Hill, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (864) 329-0090.
- Feb. 4, 2012 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 873-0279.
- Feb. 11, 2012 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 participants.
- Feb. 25, 2012 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- South Carolina 2011 weather in review
- Jan. 7 Youth Deer Hunt Day statewide
- 25th Annual Wild Quail Management Seminar scheduled for March 8-9, 2012
- Jan. 13 deadline for Junior Duck Stamp contest entries
- North Island hog hunts with dogs to remove destructive feral hogs
- Aquatic Plant Management Council meets Jan. 10 in Columbia
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Bowman on Saturday, Jan. 14
- Take precautions to avoid hypothermia
- Let Christmas trees benefit fish and wildlife after the holidays
- Standing dead trees—snags—benefit many animal species
- State wildlife, fisheries group meets Jan. 10 in Florence
- Endangered bats are being helped by 16-foot-tall concrete roosts
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video