** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
February 9, 2012
Youth coon hunt to be held in Barnwell on Saturday, Feb. 11
A youth coon hunt will be held in Barnwell on Saturday, Feb. 11, sponsored by the Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. The Barnwell youth coon hunt is part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Barnwell youth coon hunt, contact Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. This hunt is limited to 24 participants.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-13 and 14-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 25.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult. All events are free of charge. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
Other upcoming youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- Feb. 25 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- Shooting Sports Field Day set for Feb.11 near Garnett
- S.C. Wildlife’s 28th annual outdoor photo contest accepting entries
- Aiken County wildlife area will open to the public four Saturdays in March
- Natural Resources Board meets Feb. 17 in Charleston
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Barnwell on Saturday, Feb. 11
- Prescribed burns planned at Forty Acre Rock Preserve in Lancaster County
- Hosts of hunting TV show 'The Crush' featured at Palmetto Sportsmen's Classic March 23-25
- DNR honors employee of the year
- How lab work helps your local waterways (video)
- All fishermen follow recreational bag limits on South Carolina artificial reefs
- Commercial shad, herring fishing gearing up
- North American bat death toll exceeds 5 million from white-nose syndrome
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2012 registration
- Draft 2012 Aquatic Plant Management Plan available for public review, comment
- North Island hog hunts with dogs to remove destructive feral hogs
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video