** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
April 11, 2012
Calling all those interested in South Carolina High School League fishing
High schools around the Palmetto State are on the cusp of requesting the South Carolina High School League sanction High School Fishing as a varsity sport. The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) asks all those interested in forming a league to join us for a meeting on Saturday, April 14 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. The meeting will be held at the Capital City/Lake Murray Country office located at 2184 North Lake Drive in Columbia.
The meeting is in preparation for the South Carolina High School Fishing State Championship, which is back for a second year on April 28 in partnership with The Bass Federation and DNR.
Illinois was the first state to sanction High School Fishing and Kentucky recently announced that it will become the second state to sanction High School Fishing as a varsity sport activity beginning with the 2012-2013 school year. Please join us for this informative meeting to learn why South Carolina should be the third.
Please RSVP to DNR Aquatic Education Coordinator Lorianne Riggin by April 12 if you can attend. She can be reached at email@example.com or via phone at (803) 737-8483 office or (803) 667-2488 cell.
Following the meeting you are invited to join us for the National Guard FLW College Fishing National Championship weigh-in at Williams-Brice Stadium at 2:30 p.m. The top 25 College Fishing teams in the country are competing in the tournament. With more than 550 colleges and universities now offering fishing teams, sanctioned High School Fishing is the next logical step in South Carolina.
Fifty-nine percent of respondents in a recent FOX News poll believe that fishing should be a varsity sport.
See the recent FOX News report on High School Fishing's potential in South Carolina.
- Some South Carolina waters open to commercial shrimpers April 16
- Boaters urged caution as manatees return to S.C.
- Calling all those interested in South Carolina High School League fishing
- DNR works in partnership with PalmettoPride anti-littering campaign
- S.C. Natural Resources Board meets April 17 in Columbia
- N. Augusta Fishing Team sweeps recent Lake Murray tournament
- Conway High School anglers host, win Tiger Invitational Bass Tournament
- Now is the time to prepare and plan for fall dove hunting
- Aiken County WMA opens to the public Saturdays in May
- Welcome migratory songbirds to your yard
- Additional dates added to Family Fishing Clinics
- S.C. High School Fishing State Championship April 28 on Lake Greenwood
- Camp Wildwood of South Carolina open for 2012 registration
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video