** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Oct. 13, 2011
Youth coon hunt to be held in Darlington on Saturday, Oct. 15
A youth coon hunt will be held in Darlington Saturday, Oct. 15, sponsored by the Black Creek Coon Hunters Association. It’s part of a series of nine youth coon hunts to be held around South Carolina from October to February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Darlington youth coon hunt, contact Harvey Drawdy at (843) 393-2663.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-13 and 14-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 25, 2012.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- Nov. 5, 2011 – Edgefield, sponsored by Red Hill Houndsmen Association. Contact: Wayne Agner at (803) 637-6219.
- Nov. 19, 2011 – Ft. Inn, sponsored by Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. Limited to 24 participants.
- Nov. 26, 2011 – Travelers Rest, sponsored by Greenville County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Brian Kelly at (864) 752-5301. Limited to 24 participants.
- Dec. 10, 2011 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. UKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 14, 2012 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Elliot Shuler at (803) 496-3862. AKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. AKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 28, 2012 – Rock Hill, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (864) 329-0090.
- Feb. 4, 2012 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 873-0279.
- Feb. 11, 2012 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 participants.
- Feb. 25, 2012 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources. Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
All events are free of charge. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
- Recreational fishing for black sea bass closes Monday, Oct. 17
- Motorists need to watch for deer on state roads
- Future management of sheepshead fishery to be discussed at public meeting series
- Feeding, baiting deer in black bear range not wise
- Coastal Explorations Series offers fall opportunities in Lowcountry
- Deer Management meeting set for Oct. 18 in Edgefield
- Abbeville High School Panther Fishing Team conducts inaugural Bass Fishing League tournament
- Dixie Hornet Anglers kick off Bass Fishing League season on Lake Secession
- 2nd Annual Berkley/Sebile Big Bass Lake Murray Challenge on Oct. 22
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video