** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Nov. 16, 2011
Flood insurance map community meeting set Dec. 14 in Greenville County
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Flood Mitigation Program will conduct the Preliminary DFIRM Community Coordination (PDCC) Meeting, as part of the Map Modernization Initiative, Risk MAP, for Greenville County and its municipalities on Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011, at 1 p.m. The meeting will be held at the Greenville County Square, located at 301 University Ridge, Greenville.
The vision for Risk MAP is to deliver quality data that increases public awareness and leads to action that reduces risk to life and property. Risk MAP builds on flood hazard data and maps produced during the Flood Map Modernization program implemented by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to update the nation’s Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) on a countywide basis. FEMA, DNR, and local governments are working together to successfully accomplish the goals of Risk MAP, which is to address gaps in flood hazard data, to promote public awareness and understanding of risks, as well as to plan, lead, and support communities to effectively engage in risk-based mitigation planning.
The PDCC meeting will serve to educate local officials on the Post Preliminary Phase of the Map Modernization Initiative and their responsibilities in its implementation within their jurisdiction. The Post Preliminary Phase includes the Compliance Period in which localities will be required to review their recently updated flood insurance studies and update their current local flood damage prevention ordinance.
Visit the DNR Flood Mitigation website for more information on the Map Modernization Initiative and Risk MAP in South Carolina or contact the Flood Mitigation Program in West Columbia at (803) 755-9312.
- Lowcountry small game hunting opportunities available
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Travelers Rest on Saturday, Nov. 26
- Oyster shell recycling drop-off opens at Trask Landing in Beaufort County
- Flood insurance map community meeting set Dec. 14 in Greenville County
- 25th Annual Wild Quail Management Seminar scheduled for March 8-9, 2012
- Four school's Youth Bass Fishing Clubs compete on Lake Hartwell
- Drought Response Committee upgrades six Upper Savannah Basin counties to severe
- Dove hunting resumes Nov. 19
- No flooding of Hickory Top (Greentree Reservoir) WMA due to drought
- Late-season migratory bird seasons underway in November
- Wild turkey reproduction remains better this summer
- Free tree stand safety harness for one student attending Nov.-Dec. Hunter Education Classes
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video