** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Nov. 18, 2011
Youth coon hunt to be held in Travelers Rest on Saturday, Nov. 26
A youth coon hunt will be held in Travelers Rest Saturday, Nov. 26, sponsored by the Greenville County Coon Hunters Association. The Travelers Rest youth coon hunt is part of a series of nine youth coon hunts being held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Travelers Rest youth coon hunt, contact Brian Kelly at (864) 752-5301.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two hunters in each age bracket (6-13 and 14-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 25, 2012.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult. All events are free of charge. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
Other upcoming youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- Dec. 10, 2011 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. UKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 14, 2012 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Elliot Shuler at (803) 496-3862. AKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. AKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 28, 2012 – Rock Hill, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (864) 329-0090.
- Feb. 4, 2012 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 873-0279.
- Feb. 11, 2012 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 participants.
- Feb. 25, 2012 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources.
Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- Lowcountry small game hunting opportunities available
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Travelers Rest on Saturday, Nov. 26
- Oyster shell recycling drop-off opens at Trask Landing in Beaufort County
- Flood insurance map community meeting set Dec. 14 in Greenville County
- 25th Annual Wild Quail Management Seminar scheduled for March 8-9, 2012
- Four school's Youth Bass Fishing Clubs compete on Lake Hartwell
- Drought Response Committee upgrades six Upper Savannah Basin counties to severe
- Dove hunting resumes Nov. 19
- No flooding of Hickory Top (Greentree Reservoir) WMA due to drought
- Late-season migratory bird seasons underway in November
- Wild turkey reproduction remains better this summer
- Free tree stand safety harness for one student attending Nov.-Dec. Hunter Education Classes
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video