** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
Nov. 10, 2011
Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 19
A youth coon hunt will be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 19, sponsored by the Upper Carolina Coon Hunters Association. The Fountain Inn youth coon hunt is part of a series of nine youth coon hunts held around South Carolina through February, sponsored by the S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the S.C. Coon Hunters Association.
For more information on the Fountain Inn youth coon hunt, contact Mike Holcombe at (864) 505-3976. This youth coon hunt is limited to 24 participants. All events are free of charge. For more information on the youth coon hunting series, call (803) 734-3609.
These youth coon hunts will serve as regional qualifying events for the State Championship Youth Hunt. The youth hunts are designed to teach ethics and sportsmanship through low-intensity competitive events. The top two huntersin each age bracket (6-13 and 14-17) and Sportsmanship winners will qualify for the annual South Carolina Youth Raccoon Hunting Championship at the Webb Wildlife Center in Hampton County, scheduled for Feb. 25, 2012.
These are non-harvest events, and guns will not be allowed. Each potential participant should contact the sponsoring club for information regarding specific hunts. Each applicant is also responsible for bringing a coon dog to the hunt and should be able to tell when his or her dog strikes and trees with minimal help from the adult.
Other upcoming youth coon hunt locations, dates and contacts are:
- Nov. 26, 2011 – Travelers Rest, sponsored by Greenville County Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Brian Kelly at (864) 752-5301. Limited to 24 participants.
- Dec. 10, 2011 – Georgetown, sponsored by Hell Hole Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Floyd Lambert, at (843) 264-8093. UKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. UKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 14, 2012 – Bowman, sponsored by Orangeburg Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Elliot Shuler at (803) 496-3862. AKC Youth World Qualifier hunt. AKC Rules apply.
- Jan. 28, 2012 – Rock Hill, sponsored by York County Coon Club. Contact: Don Cassidy at (864) 329-0090.
- Feb. 4, 2012 – Ridgeville, sponsored by Summerville Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Ed Kimmons at (843) 873-0279.
- Feb. 11, 2012 – Barnwell, sponsored by Salkehatchie Coon Hunters Association. Contact: Dallas Zorn at (803) 671-2359. Limited to 24 participants.
- Feb. 25, 2012 – State Championship Hunt - Webb Wildlife Center, S.C. Department of Natural Resources.
Contact: Jay Butfiloski or Patty Castine at (803) 734-3609. Hunters must qualify at one of the regional hunts to participate.
- Drought Response Committee upgrades six Upper Savannah Basin counties to severe
- Dove hunting resumes Nov. 19
- No flooding of Hickory Top (Greentree Reservoir) WMA due to drought
- Late-season migratory bird seasons underway in November
- Wild turkey reproduction remains better this summer
- Dixie High School scares up fish for Lake Russell Halloween tournament
- Youth coon hunt to be held in Fountain Inn on Saturday, Nov. 19
- Just-sprouted longleaf pine seedlings are good to eat in the fall!
- New report indicates Bobwhite Quail at a crossroads
- Venison is not only source of toxoplasmosis parasite
- Free tree stand safety harness for one student attending Nov.-Dec. Hunter Education Classes
- DNR offers guidelines for dealing with bears
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video