** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
May 24, 2011
Dixie High School Hornet Anglers award two $500 scholarships
Dixie High School (Due West) Hornet fishing team awards two $500 scholarships to their anglers with the most points for the season. Kameron Harbin led the 15 to 18-year-old group for the year and Ben Stone won the 11 to 14-year-old group.
An added honor for the junior anglers was Casey Ashley as the presenter of the scholarships. Ashley, a South Carolina native and pro-angler, recently won in the Bassmaster Elite Series Evan Williams Bourbon Carolina Clash on Lake Murray.
Six Dixie Hornet Anglers competed in The Bass Federation of S.C. Junior Championship on Lake Murray on May 21st. Six of the Youth Bass Fishing Clubs competed for a chance to win the state championship at Dreher Island State Park. Dixie High School won the State Champion honor as well as two members of the team Alex Davenport (from the 11-14 age group) and Kameron Harbin (from the 15-18 age group) brought in the most weight to proceed on to the National Guard Junior World Championship later in the year in Hot Springs, Arkansas and a chance to fish for thousands of dollars in scholarships.
Interested in forming a bass fishing club at your school? All you need to do is get a minimum of six students (within the 11-18 year old range) with dues paid and you can have a Youth Bass Fishing Club. You'll also need an adult at your school to help lead the club, provide advice and help arrange at least two club tournaments, fundraisers, speakers and other learning sessions pertaining to fishing for club meetings. The Youth Bass Fishing Clubs is a product of a partnership between the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and The Bass Federation of South Carolina with help and support from parents, teachers, school districts, local bait & tackle shops, community partners and Pure Fishing.
Find out more about Youth Bass Fishing Clubs by contacting Aquatic Education Coordinator Lorianne Riggin at (803) 737-8483 or RigginL@dnr.sc.gov.
- DNR courtesy boat inspections set during Memorial Day weekend
- Thermal thinning and pruning with prescribed fire benefits longleaf pine stands
- Clam season to close May 31; oyster season closed May 15
- Dixie High School hooked the big ones
- Tips on bear-proofing Lowcountry properties
- New DNR webpage details proper deer antler scoring
- 1st round results SC Governor's Cup Billfishing Series–Bohicket Marina Invitational Tournament
- Growing-season burns a natural ecological process in South Carolina
- Seasonal Santee Cooper striped bass closure begins June 1
- 2011 public alligator hunting, special WMA alligator season applications available online
- Camp Wildwood outdoor environmental camp scheduled for June 19-25
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video