** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
July 29, 2011
Aug. 12 is deadline to apply for Union County youth dove hunt
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Forest Service will co-sponsor a youth dove hunt at the Forest Service’s Sedalia Dove Field in Union County on Saturday, Sept. 3.
In order to apply this year, interested persons must complete an application and mail it to the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR) main office in Columbia. The deadline for submitting applications is Friday, Aug. 12.
Participants for the hunt will be selected by computer drawing, and both successful and unsuccessful applicants will be notified by mail. There is no cost to apply or to attend. To obtain an application for the hunt, contact DNR in Columbia at (803) 734-3886 or the Union DNR office at (864) 427-5140. An application may also be downloaded from the DNR website.
Youth participants must be age 17 or younger and they must be accompanied by an adult 21 years old or older. Adults may have one but no more than two youth at a stand, and only one youth at a time is allowed to shoot. Adults are not permitted to shoot on youth hunts, and all shooting must be done by youth only. All adults accompanying youth at this hunt must have a valid South Carolina hunting license, Wildlife Management Area (WMA) permit and the free Migratory Bird or Harvest Information Program (HIP) permit.
Youth who are under 16 years of age are not required to have any license or permit. Youth who are age 16 or 17 are required to have a Junior Sportsman’s License or a onetime Apprentice License, which waives hunter education requirements for one year.
Lunch for hunt participants and their parents will be served at 1 p.m., and hunt activities will begin at 2 p.m. with a discussion of hunter safety and guidelines for the hunt. All participants must attend the safety talk at 2 p.m. in order to participate. The hunt will end at 6 p.m.
- Forty-three fields available for public dove hunting
- Spartanburg students place 3rd in Canon Envirothon competition
- DNR to host alligator hunting seminars
- Aug. 12 is deadline to apply for Union County youth dove hunt
- Adult, youth dove hunts to be held at Draper WMA in York County
- Lake Jocassee clean-up event July 30 spurs community support
- North Island one of the densest sea turtle nesting beaches in SC
- Harry Hampton Wildlife Fund announces 2011 scholarship winners
- Drought Response Committee upgrades 4 counties to moderate, 2 to severe drought status
- Mid-season (through June) marine turtle nesting, stranding update for S.C. coast
- Aug. 12 deadline for Pee Dee Station Site WMA dove hunt
- Volunteers needed for Summer Turkey Survey
- DNR honors former, current Board members
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video