** Archived Article - please check for current information. **
August 18, 2011
Quality Deer Management Association awards DNR Officer of the Year
S.C. Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Staff Sgt. Lynwood Kearse was recently named Wildlife Officer of the Year by the Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) at their National Convention on Aug. 12th in Nashville, TN.
The award was designed to recognize an individual that goes well beyond the normal call of duty in his position as a Wildlife Officer. Staff Sgt. Kearse is an exemplary professional and well deserving of this prestigious award, the 2011 QDMA Wildlife Officer of the Year.
Staff Sgt. Kearse has served as a conservation officer for 25 years and is the coordinator of the S.C. Department of Natural Resources (DNR)'s "Take One Make One" program. The program specifically targets youth who have not experienced a previous shooting or hunting activity. These youth are paired with volunteer hunting club members and private landowners who sponsor and actively participate in a year-round hunting and shooting sports mentorship program. Under Staff Sgt. Kearse's leadership in 2010, Take One Make One sponsored 34 hunts with 345 youth and adults participating.
Staff Sgt. Kearse is also involved in the DNR's Mobility Impaired Hunts across the state and works closely with the Low Country Chapter of SCI, the ACE Basin Branch of the QDMA, and other supporters of the annual Mobility Impaired and Wounded Warriors deer/hog hunt in southeastern South Carolina.
QDMA is a nonprofit wildlife conservation organization dedicated to ensuring a high-quality and sustainable future for white-tailed deer and white-tailed deer hunting.
- DNR seeks public input on black bears
- Late-season migratory bird regulations set
- September is National Preparedness Month
- DNR and partners to resume wood duck box program
- Upstate mobility impaired deer hunts set for this fall, deadline to apply Sept. 19
- Import of deer, elk parts into S.C. still limited by state regulation
- Duke Energy funds DNR Jocassee Gorges program, Foothills Trail guidebook
- DNR to host alligator hunting seminar in Irmo Aug. 27
- SC team finishes 7th out 101 in High School Fishing World Finals
- Two South Carolina youths compete for national bass fishing prestige
- Boardwalk at Dungannon Plantation Heritage Preserve reopened
- Quality Deer Management Association awards DNR Officer of the Year
- Spartanburg Water's annual Lake Sweep set Sept. 10
- DNR youth deer hunts in Upstate have application deadline of Sept. 12
- Archery deer-hunting opportunities abound in coastal region
- Hunters must check deer taken on lower-state Wildlife Management Areas
- Early-Season Migratory Bird Seasons approved by Natural Resources Board
- Freshwater fishing trends
- Saltwater fishing trends
- S.C. weekly tidetable
- DNR video