Marine - On Site Sampling at
Marine Resources Center at Fort Johnson
If you ever wanted to talk with a biologist and/or see how biological samples are collected, here's your chance. Boats that are returning through Charleston Harbor, can come by water to the Marine Resources Center at Fort Johnson, to have their red snapper sampled.
How it Works:
- Call (843) 412-3269 to let us know you plan to stop by.
- Anglers should arrive by water with any red snapper whole and intact.
- Boats can pull into the boat basin where they will be met by SCDNR biologists.
- Biologists will take necessary samples (fin clips, otoliths, lengths etc) and return whole fish back to the angler.
- Sampling process should take no more than 10 minutes.
- As a way to thank anglers for their cooperation, each angler who caught and provided their red snapper for sampling, will be given a free t-shirt.
Dates and Times Fish Will Be Sampled:
Time: 2:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Friday, September 14
- Saturday, September 15
- Sunday, September 16
- Friday, September 21
- Saturday, September 22
- Sunday, September 23