Estuaries as Living Labs
Aboard the E/V Discovery, participants will learn about marine, estuarine and salt marsh ecosystems. SCDNR staff will teach about the following topics:
- estuarine and salt marsh ecology
- value of estuarine and salt marsh ecosystems
- biology of animals and plants inhabiting the estuary
- water quality data collection methods and the value of clean water
- identification of birds and other wildlife
Vessel cruises are tailored to meet the state and national education standards for each visiting group. Educators are encouraged to describe subject matter currently being covered in the classroom in the application packet so that SC DNR staff may adjust material accordingly.