Marine - Carcass Drop Off Program
The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources has placed freezers at select docks, marinas, and at bait shops that recreational anglers can use to drop off fish carcasses. These sites will have catch cards that go along with the fish carcass in a carcass bag. The catch cards are intended to provide data and information about a fisherman's trip, such as date and length of trip. State biologists will collect the frozen carcasses. They will measure the length of the carcass and remove the otoliths (ear bones) to determine the fish's age.
How it Works:
- Once back to the dock, filet your fish.
- Keep the carcass with the head and tail intact.
- Take the carcass to one of the collection freezer locations.
- Place your fish in one of the provided plastic bags.
- Fill out the provided catch card.
- Place the completed catch card in the bag with the fish.
- Tie bag closed and place it in the collection freezer.
Freezer Locations (Available for drop offs 24 hours):
- Fish On Outfitters
800 Sea Mountain Hwy.
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582
- Harrelson's Seafood Market
4368 U.S. 17 Business
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
- Georgetown Landing Marina
432 Marina Drive
Georgetown, SC 29440
- The Boathouse Restaurant
397 Squire Pope Rd
Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
- SCDNR Marine Resource Division – Accessible by boat only
217 Ft. Johnson Rd.
Charleston, SC 29412
(located under the Administration Building adjacent to the boat slip)
Additional freezer Locations (Access Restricted to Members):
- Gold Bug Island
1560 Ben Sawyer Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464