ACE Basin NERR - Stewardship
Stewardship, or the protection and enhancement of the expansive estuarine ecosystem, is the foundation of the NERR mission in the ACE Basin. The ACE Basin NERR Stewardship efforts focuses on instilling a sense of "ownership" in the ACE for those living in and around the ACE Basin watershed. Stewardship efforts promote public awareness, understanding and appreciation of estuarine ecosystems and their important relationship to the environment as a whole.
A variety of projects drive this effort to incorporate the ACE family in the protection and enhancement of the ACE ecosystem to develop that "ownership" mentality:
- Ongoing seminars explore a number of ACE related topics at different venues. Coastal Exploration Series and ACE Basin Seminar Series
- Field trips into the ACE on the E/V Discovery provide an on- the- water experience for school (teachers and students) and environmental education groups.
- Opportunities for volunteers to work within the ACE Basin on research and stewardship projects.
- Science related school and naturalist groups visit the Michael D. McKenzie Field Station at Bennett's Point for a variety of educational outdoor experiences.
- Publications and educational programs such as the Circle Hook Program, the Monofilament Recycling Program and Backyard Buffers (produced by SCDHEC-OCRM and Clemson), highlight the importance of each person's contribution to the solution.
- Work with our partners to provide quality events for the public (you can view some of the upcoming events on our calendar)
- Wildlife protection efforts including shorebird protection