Hunt S.A.F.E. to Prevent Firearm Accidents
Proper firearm storage is the number one way to prevent firearm accidents. With this in mind SCDNR is working with the National Shooting Sports Foundation to remind hunters that “The Hunt Isn’t Over Until You Are S.A.F.E.”
S.A.F.E. stands for Secure your firearms when not in use; Be Aware of those around you who should not have unauthorized access to firearms; Focus on your responsibility as a firearm owner and Educate yourself and others about safe firearm handling and storage.
The hunting season is a time of year when a lot of firearms are in use and in transport, so we urge hunters to remember what they can do to prevent firearm accidents in the field, at the range, at home and everywhere in between.
To complement SC's hunter safety programs and provide you with additional resources on proper firearm storage and safety, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, as part of its Project ChildSafe program, has made several resources available, which can be found on the Project ChildSafe website, including:
- Tips and guidelines on safe firearm handling
- NSSF’s Ethical Hunter brochure (PDF 3.2MB)
- An infographic (JPEG) with guidelines on a variety of firearm storage options
- Information on where to get a free firearm safety kit including a cable-style gun lock
And coming soon:
- A new interactive list of safe hunting tips and Hunter’s Safety Quiz
- A Hunting Checklist for Families
The idea is to help everyone hunt responsibly, return home safe, and securely store their unloaded firearms. Together we can help prevent firearm accidents.