New Deer Tag Information
When residents purchase a Hunting License and Big Game Permit OR if they currently have an active Hunting License and Big Game Permit that will be valid when deer season begins on August 15 they will automatically receive a base set of deer tags at no cost prior to deer season.
The tags consist of the following:
- 3 unrestricted antlered buck tags.
- 8 date specific antlerless deer tags. Each antlerless tag is only valid on one specific day and cannot be used on any other day. Similar to the "doe days" in the past.
Residents - additional deer tag purchases
- Residents may purchase 2 additional antler restriction buck tags for $5 each. The restriction is the buck must have 4 points on one antler or a minimum 12-inch inside spread. There is no particular order in which the antlered buck tags must be used.
- As in the past, all residents may purchase up to 4 individual antlerless tags for $5 each. Tags are valid on any day beginning September 15 in Game Zones 2, 3, 4 and October 1 in Game Zone 1 until the end of the deer hunting season.
Resident archery hunters may use any of the date specific tags to take antlerless deer on any day during archery only or primitive weapons seasons beginning September 15. The archery notation and actual date must be validated on the tag. Once used, however, these tags would no longer be available for use during firearms season on the designated date.
- Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point of sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.). They will be available over the counter after August 1 at DNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (downtown and Farmer’s Market), Florence, and York. Tags may be requested after July 1 by phone at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will not be mailed until early August.
- Resident hunters who have an active License/Big Game Permit when deer season begins will automatically receive their base set of tags about August 1. Residents whose License/Big Game Permit expires before deer season begins should renew their License/Big Game permit at least 7-10 days prior to deer hunting so their deer tags can arrive in the mail.
- Tags are valid for the entire deer season, however, hunters must maintain an active License/Big Game Permit to legally deer hunt.
- The statewide limit on antlered bucks using personal deer tags is 5 for residents and 4 for nonresidents. In each case, 2 of these bucks must have at least 4 points on one antler or a 12-inch inside spread.
- SCDNR regulations will limit usage and number of antlerless deer tags within the Games Zones.
- A total of 4 antlerless deer may be harvested in Game Zone 1.
- In Game Zone 2 a total of 5 antlerless deer maybe be harvested.
- Antlerless limit in Game Zone 3 and 4 is a total of the 8 date specific antlerless tags issued with the Big Game Permit and the number of individual antlerless deer tags the hunter chooses to purchase.
- Daily limit of 2 for antlered bucks or antlerless deer using personal tags for residents and nonresidents.
- There are additional restrictions on tag use and bag limits on Wildlife Management Areas see 2017-18 Regulations Guide for details.
- Deer taken on DNR WMA Lottery Hunts will be tagged by on site DNR staff, hunters will not be required to use their personal tags.
- Deer Processors have always been required to mark carcasses hanging in a cooler with the hunter’s name, address, and hunting license number (SC Code 50-11-1700). With the new tagging program processors may choose to simply leave or replace the tag on the carcass which serves the same purpose.