Boating - Documented VesselsIf you purchased a vessel that was previously documented and wish to register and title it in S.C. we must have the following:
- Bill of Sale Completed, signed and dated.
- Letter of deletion from United States Coast Guard (U.S.C.G.)
- The seller, buyer, or an agent acting for either party must submit in writing a request for the letter of deletion with a fee of $15.00. If you pay with a check you will need to make it out to U.S.C.G.
- If available you must submit the original certificate of documentation.
- You will need to include the Official Number that was issued for the documented vessel.
- Completed and Signed Application - ( Adobe PDF format - file size 57Kb)
- Pencil Tracing, if traceable or Photograph of Hull ID Number
- Fee for registration, title
- Casual excise tax
If you choose to document the vessel versus title and registration you will need to contact the United States Coast Guard:
Outboard Motor on your Documented Vessel
If the documented vessel is propelled by outboard motor(s), the outboard motor is required to be titled, if the state of principle use is South Carolina and it is five (5) horsepower or greater.
Any vessel that is documented by the United States Coast Guard (U.S.C.G.) can be operated on the waters of this state with no additional S.C. registration issued by South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.
Documented Vessels are exempt from registration in South Carolina.